Saturday, December 11, 2010

Hitting on Readers: The First Line | Ann Stephens Romance

I have a passion for great first lines in fiction. I must confess, if a book doesn't have a first line that knocks me out, I usually leave it on the shelf at the bookstore.

I have a collection of my favorite first lines and often use that collection in a class I teach called "Great Beginnings." A few of my favorites are:

"I'm naked." Between Lovers. Eric Jerome Dickey

"You better not never tell nobody but God." The Color Purple. Alice Walker

"Everybody cheated, at least everybody Tony Valentine had ever known." Grift Sense. James Swain

"They shoot the white girl first." Paradise. Tony Morrison


Ann sums up the importance of first lines brilliantly on her blog.

Hitting on Readers: The First Line Ann Stephens Romance

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment